President Trump has begun unblocking his critics on Twitter after a federal judge ruled that he violated their First Amendment rights, however, the Department of Justice (DOJ) said Monday that it will appeal the court’s ruling, Reuters reported.
The director of the Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University, which represented the seven people who sued Trump last year, told the publication that they were “disappointed” by the Trump administration’s decision to appeal the court’s “thoughtful and well-supported ruling.”
“We’re pleased that the White House unblocked our clients from the President’s Twitter account but disappointed that the government intends to appeal the district court’s thoughtful and well-supported ruling,” Jameel Jaffer said in an email.
The Hill added:
Judge Naomi Reice Buchwald of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York ruled against Trump last month, arguing that his Twitter account is a public forum.
She ruled that users’ First Amendment rights to free speech are violated when they can’t respond to the president on Twitter.
Trump blocks many of his critics from his Twitter account, which has more than 52 million followers.
Former White House press secretary Sean Spicer said last year that Trump’s tweets should be considered official statements.