Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) called the White House to notify them he was taking his offer to support funding for President Trump’s border wall in exchange for protection for Dreamers off the table in negotiations over immigration issues with the White House, according to a Democratic aide.
A staffer who works for Schumer called the White House on Monday and said the proposal to give more than $1.6 billion in funding for Trump’s proposed border wall, was no longer operative, Politico reported.
Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) on the reported offer to fund Trump’s wall said Schumer “took it off.”
“He called the White House yesterday and said it’s over,” Durbin said.
Schumer took to the Senate floor to detail his negotiations with Trump at the White House last Friday to reach a potential deal and avoid a government shutdown.
“During the meeting, in exchange for strong [Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals] protections, I reluctantly put the border wall on the table for the discussion. Even that was not enough to entice the president to finish the deal,” Schumer said.
The Hill adds:
Early Saturday morning, Schumer said the two had a “lengthy and substantive discussion,” and Trump appeared to be on board during their meeting.
Schumer’s floor speech came after Democrats emerged from a closed-door caucus meeting on Friday evening, claiming that the two men had been close to a deal but the president balked. A Senate aide this past weekend confirmed that Trump had walked away from a potential deal.
One Democratic aide told Politico that the president had “missed an opportunity to get the wall.”