In the immediate aftermath of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Trump falsely boasted that one of his buildings had become the tallest in downtown Manhattan following the collapse of the World Trade Center.
Trump made the boast during a phone interview with New Jersey’s local TV channel WWOR hours after the collapse of the Twin Towers.
When asked about the condition of the Trump Building at 40 Wall Street during the live TV interview, Trump responded by bragging about the size of his property.
“Donald, you have one of the landmark buildings down in the financial district, 40 Wall Street, did you have any damage – what’s happening down there?” asked the WWOR host.
“40 Wall Street actually was the second tallest building in downtown Manhattan, and it was actually, before the World Trade Centre, was the tallest. And then, when they built the World Trade Centre, it became known as the second tallest.
And now it’s the tallest.
I have a window that looks directly at the World Trade Centre, and I saw this huge explosion. I really couldn’t even believe it.
Now, I’m looking at absolutely nothing. It’s just gone. It’s just hard to believe.”
According to PolitiFact:
In actuality, once the Twin Towers were decimated, the 71-story Trump Building at 40 Wall Street was the second-tallest building still standing in Lower Manhattan, according to the Washington Post. It was 25 feet shorter than the building at 70 Pine Street. That’s not to say that 40 Wall Street has never been the tallest in Lower Manhattan: It was for two years in the 1930s, before Trump owned it.
Currently, Trump’s building on 40 Wall Street is the 32nd-tallest building either erected or under development in New York City.
Earlier this year, Trump was criticized for claiming to be a 9/11 first responder. Trump also claimed that he assisted in cleanup efforts during the 2016 campaign. “Everyone who helped clear the rubble – and I was there, and I watched, and I helped a little bit – but I want to tell you: Those people were amazing,” Trump said.
Trump was near Ground Zero soon after the attacks took place, but the White House has not corroborated the claim that he helped clear out rubble.
Richard Alles, a New York Fire Department retired deputy chief, was on the scene after the attacks. He told us he “was there for several months” and had “no knowledge of (Trump) being down there.”
Trump has also made baseless claims during the 2016 campaign that he saw “thousands” of Muslims in New Jersey celebrated the attacks.