President Trump’s longtime personal attorney Michael Cohen will reportedly cooperate with federal prosecutors in the criminal investigation into him, ABC News reported Wednesday.
A source told ABC News that the law firm handling the case for Cohen is not expected to represent him going forward and replacements for the lawyers have not been named.
Attorneys Stephen Ryan and Todd Harrison from New York firm McDermott, Will & Emery LLP had previously been representing Cohen.
The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York is investigating Cohen for potential bank fraud and campaign finance violations.
After the FBI raided Cohen’s home, office and hotel room in April as part of the probe, President Trump lashed out in a tweet, writing, “Attorney-client privilege is dead!”
Trump likened the raid to a break-in and called it a “disgraceful situation.”
“It’s an attack on our country in a true sense. It’s an attack on all we stand for,” the president said during a meeting with senior military leadership at the White House. “That is really now on a whole new level of unfairness.”
Some of the 3.7 million documents seized in the April 9 raids of Cohen’s properties were reportedly connected to the $130,000 payment Cohen made to adult-film actress Stormy Daniels, who alleges she had an affair with Trump in 2006.
Cohen paid the Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, just weeks before the 2016 presidential election in an effort to maintain her silence about the alleged affair.
The Hill notes:
Trump has acknowledged that he reimbursed Cohen for the payment, but he has denied that the affair with Daniels took place.
A federal judge ruled on Friday that Cohen’s legal team must publicly file any challenge they make against a special master’s decision on evidence seized from Cohen during the raid.
Only 162 of the hundreds of thousands of materials seized in the raid have been declared to have attorney-client protection.