President Trump late Tuesday declared that “all is well” after Iran fired at least a dozen ballistic missiles at two military bases in Iraq that house U.S. troops and coalition personnel as casualties and damages continue to be assessed.
“All is well!” Trump tweeted. “Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq.”
“Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now,” he added. “So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.”
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2020
It was not immediately clear if any U.S. service members were hurt in the strikes.
The Pentagon in a statement said that Iran had “launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against U.S. military and coalition forces in Iraq,” adding, “It is clear that these missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases holding U.S. military and coalition personnel at Al-Assad and Irbil.”
“In recent days and in response to Iranian threats and actions, the Department of Defense has taken all appropriate measures to safeguard our personnel and partners,” said Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman. “These bases have been on high alert due to indications that the Iranian regime planned to attack our forces and interests in the region.”
“As we evaluate the situation and our response, we will take all necessary measures to protect and defend U.S. personnel, partners, and allies in the region,” Hoffman added.
The White House said earlier that Trump had been briefed and was closely monitoring the situation while consulting with his national security team.
Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif asserted in a tweet that Iran had taken “proportionate measures in self-defense” to target the base from which a “cowardly armed attack against our citizens & senior officials were launched.”
“We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression,” Zarif tweeted.
Iran took & concluded proportionate measures in self-defense under Article 51 of UN Charter targeting base from which cowardly armed attack against our citizens & senior officials were launched.
We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression.
— Javad Zarif (@JZarif) January 8, 2020