President Donald Trump abruptly ended a solo interview with CBS News’ “60 Minutes” Tuesday and did not return for an appearance he was supposed to tape with Vice President Mike Pence, multiple sources familiar with the matter told CNN on Tuesday.
After camera crews set up at the White House on Monday, Trump sat down with “60 Minutes” host Lesley Stahl for about 45 minutes on Tuesday before he abruptly ended the interview. Trump reportedly told the network he believed they had enough material to use, according to two sources.
CBS News did not immediately respond to a CNN request for comment.
According to CNN correspondent Kaitlan Collins, the “drama” occurred on Tuesday afternoon.
“Apparently there was some drama while President Trump was taping his 60 Minutes interview today,” Collins wrote on Twitter. “He abruptly ended his solo interview after around 45 minutes & did not return for a scheduled walk & talk he was supposed to tape with Pence, @abdallahcnn and I are told by sources.”
Biden and Harris were also interviewed by 60 Minutes & all are scheduled to appear in the same program. While Biden and Harris taped their interviews separately, Trump and Pence were scheduled to appear on camera together. They ultimately did not and Pence taped his separately.
— Kaitlan Collins (@kaitlancollins) October 20, 2020
Minutes after the interview, Trump took to Twitter to attack Stahl for allegedly not wearing a mask at the White House. Trump has repeatedly attacked Joe Biden for wearing facial coverings — even after the president was hospitalized for COVID-19.
President Trump sat down with Lesley Stahl for about 45 minutes Tuesday before he abruptly ended the interview and told the network he believed they had enough material to use, two sources tell @abdallahcnn & @kaitlancollins https://t.co/v2nRHccDMN
— Vivian Salama (@vmsalama) October 20, 2020
“Stahl previously said that during an off-camera conversation with Trump in 2016, when he was running for President, he admitted his attacks on the press were meant to discredit negative stories that emerged about him,” CNN noted.
UPDATE: Trump continued his Twitter attacks on Stahl, tweeting: “I am pleased to inform you that, for the sake of accuracy in reporting, I am considering posting my interview with Lesley Stahl of 60 Minutes, PRIOR TO AIRTIME! This will be done so that everybody can get a glimpse of what a FAKE and BIASED interview is all about…Everyone should compare this terrible Electoral Intrusion with the recent interviews of Sleepy Joe Biden!”
…Everyone should compare this terrible Electoral Intrusion with the recent interviews of Sleepy Joe Biden!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 20, 2020