A second federal prosecutor in the criminal case against longtime President Donald Trump associate and GOP operative Roger Stone abruptly resigned Tuesday shortly after the Department of Justice said it will force prosecutors to cut their recommended prison sentence for the longtime Trump ally.
In a one-sentence filing to the court, lawyer Jonathan Kravis announced his resignation as an assistant U.S. attorney and therefore no longer represents the government in the case.
Kravis’s announcement came shortly after a similar withdrawal by prosecutor Aaron Zelinsky, who previously worked on special counsel Robert Mueller’s team of investigators in the probe of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.
Kravis, a trial attorney with DOJ's public integrity section, returned to USAO DC office in March to join the Manafort prosecution and other Mueller follow-up cases. He was lead prosecutor for the pending April trial of indicted Russian firm Concord Management and Consulting. https://t.co/M8IfepvFTd
— Spencer Hsu (@hsu_spencer) February 11, 2020
Late Monday night, the U.S. Attorney’s Office told the judge in a filing that Stone should get a prison term of seven to nine years when he is sentenced Feb. 20 for crimes related to lying to Congress about his contacts with WikiLeaks during the 2016 presidential election and his efforts to get an associate, comedian Randy Credico, to cover for his lies.
But DOJ officials objected to the recommended prison term for Stone shortly after it became public and now plan to recommend a lower sentence later Tuesday in court.
Trump early Tuesday morning blasted the original recommended sentence for Stone, calling it “disgraceful” and also tweeting that “this is a horrible and very unfair situation.”
This is a horrible and very unfair situation. The real crimes were on the other side, as nothing happens to them. Cannot allow this miscarriage of justice! https://t.co/rHPfYX6Vbv
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 11, 2020