Saudi Arabia acknowledged Friday that a prominent U.S.-based journalist, Jamal Khashoggi, was killed after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
In a statement translated by The New York Times, the kingdom’s public prosecutor claimed that an argument broke out between Khashoggi and men who met him inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2, leading to “a fistfight that led to his death.”
The Saudi government said that 18 Saudi nationals have been arrested and are being interrogated in connection with the murder of Khashoggi, who was serving as an opinion contributor to The Washington Post.
Turkish officials have said that the journalist was murdered and dismembered inside the consulate by a team of 15 Saudi agents who had flown in to meet him.
Saudi Arabia has faced growing international pressure to explain the two-week disappearance of Khashoggi, a Saudi national who had been critical of the kingdom’s leadership and was living in Virginia.