North Korea has suspended all high-level talks with South Korea and is threatening to cancel next month’s summit with President Trump over joint military exercises between South Korean and the U.S. air forces.
North Korea’s Korean Central News Agency said the ongoing drills are an “intentional military provocation” to undermine recent diplomatic talks, according to Yonhap News Agency in South Korea.
“The United States will also have to undertake careful deliberations about the fate of the planned North Korea-U.S. summit in light of this provocative military ruckus jointly conducted with the South Korean authorities,” North Korea said.
Leaders from North and South Korea had been scheduled to meet Wednesday at the Peace House along the border between the two countries, but that meeting has been scrapped, according to Yonhap.
The Hill adds:
The meeting was intended as a follow-up to an April 27 discussion in which leaders pledged to put an official end to the Korean War and work toward “complete denuclearization” of the Korean peninsula.
Foreign policy experts have been skeptical of North Korea’s sudden willingness to engage in discussions about abandoning its nuclear program, noting that the country has reneged on past promises.
Pompeo said Sunday that the U.S. was going into talks with “eyes wide open with respect to the fact that the North Koreans have not proved worthy of their promises.”
“But we’re hopeful that this will be different, that we don’t do the traditional model, where they do something, and we give them a bunch of money, and then both sides walk away,” he added.