In an interview with “Fox & Friends” Tuesday morning, Vice President Mike Pence said that the United States should be building more monuments around the country, not tearing them down.
“Obviously, I think [whether to remove the monuments] should always be a local decision,” Pence told Fox News when asked whether he supported local municipalities around the country in their efforts to remove Confederate statues in the wake of the deadly violence at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Va.. “And with regard to the U.S. Capitol, should be state decisions.”
“I’m someone who believes in more monuments, not less monuments,” Pence continued. “What we ought to do is remember our history.”
— FOX & friends (@foxandfriends) August 22, 2017
“But we ought to celebrate the progress we have made since that history,” Pence said. “I can’t help but think that rather than tearing down monuments, as some are want to do, rather than tearing down monuments that have graced our cities for years, we ought to be building more monuments.
“We ought to be celebrating the men and women who have helped our nation move towards a more perfect union and tell the whole story of America.”
Pence’s remarks echoed President Trump’s argument last week that the removal of “beautiful” Confederate monuments around the country could lead to statues of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson being removed as well.
“Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson — who’s next, Washington, Jefferson? So foolish,” Trump tweeted last week.
“Also the beauty that is being taken out of our cities, towns and parks will be greatly missed and never able to be comparably replaced!”