The Kansas Department of Health and Environment Secretary Dr. Lee Norman said Monday that the number of cases of people ingesting a chemical solution has increased, KSHB-TV reports.
Norman said he received the information from Dr. Stephen Thornton, a toxicologist and emergency medicine specialist at the University of Kansas Medical Center.
Thornton told Norman that he had seen an increase of more than 40% in cleaning chemical cases.
One of the cases included a man over the weekend who drank a product “because of the advice that he received,” Norman said.
Norman said the department is “doing what we can to counter-message against that kind of remedy.”
Norman did not specifically state that there were any ties between the increase and President Donald Trump’s inquiry if disinfectant could be injected into the lungs to kill COVID-19 inside the body.
During a press briefing last week, Trump discussed the possibility of injecting disinfectants as a potential coronavirus treatment.
“So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it’s ultraviolet or just very powerful light — and I think you said that hasn’t been checked but you’re going to test it,” Trump said at the time. “And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside of the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way. And I think you said you’re going to test that, too. Sounds interesting.”
“I see the disinfectant — where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning?” he asked at the briefing.
The report comes as officials in Georgia said that two men ingested household chemicals in an effort to protect themselves against COVID-19 over the weekend, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports.