Former Defense Secretary Ash Carter said on Wednesday that President Trump’s ban on transgender people serving in the U.S. military “has no place in our military.”
“To choose service members on other grounds than military qualifications is social policy and has no place in our military,” Carter said. “There are already transgender individuals are are serving capably and honorably. This action would also send the wrong signal to a younger generation thinking about military service.”
Trump on Wednesday tweeted that he would ban transgender people from any military service, saying he had made the decision after consulting with “my generals and military experts.”
The Hill added:
Last year, the Obama administration lifted the ban, allowing transgender troops to serve openly.
Under the policy set by Carter, transgender troops could also receive coverage for any treatment deemed medically necessary by their doctors, including surgery and hormone therapy.
That step left a decision for current Defense Secretary James Mattis to make on whether to allow new transgender troops to enter the military.
“After consultation with my Generals and military experts, please be advised that the United States Government will not accept or allow Transgender individuals to serve in any capacity in the U.S. Military,” Trump tweeted on Wednesday morning.
“Our military must be focused on decisive and overwhelming victory and cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail. Thank you,” he added.