Connect with us

The Guardians of Democracy

The Guardians of Democracy

Austin Serial Bomber, A 23-Year-Old White Male, Kills Himself With Explosive Device


Austin Serial Bomber, A 23-Year-Old White Male, Kills Himself With Explosive Device

The suspect in a series of bombing attacks in Austin, Texas, that killed two people and injured four others, blew himself up with an explosive device early Wednesday as authorities closed in, police said.

The suspect was identified by police as a white 23-year-old male named Mark Anthony Conditt.

Conditt was confronted by authorities at a hotel on Interstate 35 in the suburb of Round Rock, Austin Police Chief Brian Manley told reporters.

“Late last night and early this morning, we felt very confident that this was the suspect in the bombing incidents that took place in Austin. We had surveillance teams looking for this suspect, and we ultimately located the vehicle that this suspect was known to be driving, and witnesses told us he was driving, and in fact we found that at a hotel right up the road here in Round Rock,” Manley said.

The suspect drove off as police waited for ballistic vehicles to arrive. Conditt stopped his vehicle in a ditch on the side of the road.

“We began following the vehicle, again waiting to get the tactical vehicles here so we could make a stop,” Manley said.

“As members of the Austin Police Department SWAT team approached the vehicle, the suspect detonated a bomb inside the vehicle, knocking one of our SWAT officers back, and one of our SWAT officers fired at the vehicle as well,” Manley said.

“The suspect is deceased and has significant injuries from a blast that occurred through detonating a bomb inside his vehicle.”

One SWAT officer suffered minor injuries when the bomb exploded in the suspect’s car,” Manley said.

“We believe this individual is responsible for all of the incidents in Austin,” Manley said, adding that police are still investigating whether he had acted alone and urged residents to remain vigilant.

“This is the culmination of three very long weeks in our community,” Manley said.

“We do not understand what motivated him to do what he did, and that will ultimately be part of the continuing investigation, as we continue to learn more about him and why he took the actions that he did,” he added.


More in NEWS

To Top