Attorney General William Barr appeared to contradict President Donald Trump’s claim on Wednesday that he was just merely visiting an underground bunker at the White House last week to inspect it, not because of security concerns over heated protests outside the executive mansion’s gates late last month.
Trump dismissed as “false” reports that the Secret Service had “rushed” him into the bunker on May 29 as protests ignited by the death of George Floyd escalated across the street.
“I went down during the day, and I was there for a tiny little short period of time,” he said during an interview with radio host Brian Kilmeade.
“It was much more for an inspection. There was no problem during the day,” Trump claimed.
President Trump tells Brian Kilmeade it was a false report that he was taken to the underground bunker amid protests, though he confirms he did go to the bunker. He says he went in the day and it was "more for an inspection." "I was there for a tiny, short little period of time."
— Kaitlan Collins (@kaitlancollins) June 3, 2020
But in a new interview with Fox News on Monday, Barr appeared to confirm multiple reports that Trump was rushed into the bunker by the Secret Service for his own safety.
“Things were so bad, the Secret Service recommended the president go down to the bunker,” said Barr. “We can’t have that in our country.”
Baier: If you had to do Monday over again, would you do something different?
Barr: Based on what I know now, no… Things were so bad, the secret service recommended the President go down to the bunker. We can’t have that in our country. pic.twitter.com/2p64yP9G0s
— Acyn Torabi (@Acyn) June 8, 2020
Barr also denied playing any role in ordering law enforcement officials to disperse protesters with tear gas and rubber bullets, even though photographs show he was on the scene minutes before the action was taken and even though the White House press secretary said he ordered the perimeter pushed back.